The Victim Compensation Fund is a scheme in which the amount of compensation is paid to the victims or his/her dependent who have suffered loss or injury as a result of any crime and also to those who require rehabilitation. The State Government allots a special budget for the purpose of the scheme every year. The fund is operated by the member Secretary, State Legal Services Authority and the funds are placed to the District Legal Services Authority as per requirement from time to time.
All amounts are paid through bank transfer since cash payment is not available for any funds.
Whenever a recommendation is made by the court or an application is made by any victim or his/her dependents, the State Legal Services Authority or the District Legal Services Authority shall examine and verify the case and may call for any required information necessary to determine the genuineness. After verification, these authorities shall award compensation within two months.
- Loss or Injury sustained by the victim or his/her dependents should have caused substantial loss to the
income of the family
- The victim or his/her dependents report the crime to the Officer-in-charge of Police Station or Judicial
Magistrate of the area promptly.
- The victim or his/her dependents cooperates with the Police and Prosecution during the investigation or
trial of the case.
- Documents to prove that the loss or injury have caused substantial loss to the income of the family.
- An application should be made to the State Legal Services Authority or the District Legal Services
The Fund will be provided within 2 months of the claim
How to apply:
An application should be made to the State Legal Services Authority or the District Legal Services Authority
Type of Service:
This is an offline service
Whom to Contact:
Home & Political Department
CM Block, 3rd Floor, Assam Secretariat