Student visas are given to bonafide students to pursue regular studies at recognized institutions in India. The visa is single, double or triple entry. Valid for the period of study as approved by the educational institution in India. The validity of the visa begins from the date of issue by the High Commission of India and not from the date of travel on your application form. The duration of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Issuing Authority. All visa fees once paid are non-refundable irrespective of the outcome of the visa application and duration granted.
All students are required to get themselves registered with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer FRRO)/Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned having jurisdiction over the place where the student intends to stay, within 14 days of arrival. However, Pakistan nationals are required to register within 24 hours of their arrival. All Afghan nationals are required to register with the FRRO/FRO concerned within 14 days of arrival except those Afghan nationals who enter India on a visa valid for 30 days or less provided the Afghan national concerned gives his/her local address in India to the Indian Mission/FRRO/FRO.
FRO offices forward the application to the SB Hqrs. Application of extension of Visa are forwarded by SP, SB(EZ), Assam, Kahilipara, Guwahati along with his recommendation and all necessary documents e.g. Passport, Visa etc to the state government. Extension may be accorded by state government as per Visa Manual and validity of the Passport.
Indian Missions/Posts grant a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the below:
- To foreigner students coming to India to pursue regular and full time academic studies in India.
- For foreigner students coming for Industrial training, summer project and internship.
- Provisional student visa valid for six months for the students exploring admission or taking admission tests.
- Applicant should possess the proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
- The applicant should also possess a “No Objection Certificate” from the Ministry of Health in case of admission in medical or Para-medical course.
- Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa). Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal Visa holder.
- Registration is not required in respect of children below the age of 16 years.
Visa fees for student visa are different for all the countries. It ranges from Rs.838.50 to Rs.7609.82
- Passport size photographs
- Photo Page, Page indicating validity, Page bearing arrival Stamp of Indian Immigration, Visa with endorsement.
- Form C copy from Hotel or Lodge/ Electricity bill / Landline Telephone / Municipal Bill of the landlord in case of staying in a house of a relative or friend along with a letter and photo-id card of the landlord. In case of rented accommodation copy of the Lease and License agreement (1st and last page & page containing its validity).
- In case of staying in hostel in the University/Educational Institution, letter from the authority concerned in the University/Educational Institution confirming accommodation in the hostel
- Form S / Bonafide certificate
The Foreigners must submit application for extension of residential permit/visa at least 60 days before the date of expiry of respective residential permit/visa.
How to apply:
The visitors are required to fill online Visa Application form by visiting the BOI website and visit their nearest embassy with printout of the online filled application and required travel documents.
Type of Service:
Visa application can be done both online and offline.
Forms to be filled:
Online Visa Extension
Whom to Contact: